TWO men convicted of murdering a Pakistani civilian during last year's unrest yesterday claimed they could not have done it because they were taking part in an illegal gathering at the same time.
Lawyer Mohammed Al Jishi submitted video footage to the Supreme Criminal Appeals Court, which he said provided them with an alibi.
He claimed it showed his clients taking part in an illegal gathering behind a hotel in Manama at the time of the attack.
The evidence was presented during an appeal by 14 men convicted of the murder of Abdul Malik Ghulam Rasool, 34, who was killed during a wave of attacks by anti-government thugs on members of Bahrain's Asian community.
"My two clients were earlier convicted and jailed for participating in an illegal gathering, but at the same time they are accused of killing the victim," said Mr Al Jishi.
"I request their acquittal after providing evidence which shows they are not guilty."
The defendants were jailed for life for the death of Mr Rasool, who was beaten to death by an armed mob before being dumped near a Manama mosque on March 13 last year.
The men were convicted of premeditated murder, damaging property, assault and taking part in an illegal gathering by the National Safety Court.
Two other suspects remain at large.
The appeal was adjourned until Wednesday for a new medical examiner to inspect the defendants for signs of alleged mistreatment in custody.