Dramatic video evidence was screened in court yesterday of clashes at Bahrain University during last year's unrest.
It was produced by lawyers to back up allegations during a High Criminal Appeals Court hearing yesterday.
Ninety-six university students and staff were earlier jailed for up to 12 months in connection with the protests at the Sakhir campus, which caused damage amounting to BD350,000.
Twenty short video clips of the clashes at the university on March 13 last year were screened in the court.
Lawyer Mohsin Al Alawi told the judges the footage showed policemen standing outside the university campus along with men dressed in civilian clothes.
"As you can see, the policemen are standing outside the university campus besides the men wearing civilian clothes who are attacking the university students," he said.
The video also showed a man dressed in civilian clothes armed with a stick running towards nurses working at the university and repeatedly hitting them, while police stand around watching in the background.
Lawyers also claimed other men, holding sticks and other weapons, in the video were clearly not Shi'ites.
"As you can see they clearly look like they are not Shia by the way they are dressed," said Mr Al Alawi.
The footage included a teen believed to be from the Shia sect was receiving treatment at a hospital after lawyers claim he was attacked at the university.
"As you can see the teen, who belongs from the Shia sect, receiving treatment after he was attacked at the university, you can tell this from his name which is shown on his university card on the video," said Mr Al Alawi.
The video also showed two shots being fired from a moving land cruiser vehicle outside the university campus and a passerby holding the pair of bullets in his hands as a proof.
Defence lawyers repeated a previous request to arrest a man who they claim took part in the clashes who plays for Bahrain's national handball team.
But judges told the lawyers to follow up the matter with the Public Prosecution.
Only three of the 96 defendants showed up at the hearing after all were earlier released on bail. They are being represented by 25-member defence team.
The university clashes on March 13 last year coincided with a general deterioration of security across the country and clashes between police and protesters outside Bahrain Financial Harbour.
The appeal was adjourned to July 4 to re-summon prosecution witnesses.
Interior Ministry officials last night said they could not comment on any case while it was still in court.