TWENTY-EIGHT Bahrainis allegedly prepared more than 100 homemade bombs a night before they attacked policemen in Nuwaidrat, a court heard.
The new information was presented to the High Criminal Court yesterday, where four policemen recalled the morning they were ambushed and attacked with Molotov cocktails after dispersing an illegal gathering on December 30.
The witnesses told judges that investigations had led police to the 28 men in Nuwaidrat, where they also found 130 firebombs.
"The defendants planned the attack, made 130 Molotov cocktails at a house in Nuwaidrat the night before they attacked police at a roundabout in Nuwaidrat at 7am," said the investigating officer.
Prosecutors claimed the defendants, aged 17 to 35, were among 150 people who took part in an illegal rally, wearing white shrouds normally used to cover dead bodies before a funeral.
All of them were accused of attempted murder, while two were also charged with stealing boxes containing 22 tear gas canisters from police and another two were accused of setting a police jeep on fire. Eight others are still at large.
One policeman told judges how he tried to escape the mob, who hurled a firebomb at his head, but did not burst.
"They came out from everywhere and then Molotov cocktails started falling on us like rain at a crazy speed,"
"They intended to kill us, I was trying to get away on foot after police patrols quickly left the area, a Molotov cocktail fell on my head but thank God it did not explode."
Another officer said they called for backup, but police patrols arrived to the scene late because rioters blocked the roads leading to the area.
The 10-member defence team claimed the men who allegedly attacked the policemen were wearing masks, arguing there was no solid evidence to prove it was their clients.
"How can you tell these defendants were among the men who attacked police, it is not possible to identify the attackers as they were wearing masks," said lawyer Mohsin Al Alawi.
The investigating officer also told judges that secret sources and investigation led them to the defendants, who confessed to the charges during questioning.
However, the defendants earlier denied the accusations in court.
The case was adjourned to June 17 to summon defence witnesses.
Police had earlier confiscated stolen tear gas canisters, paint bottles and political banners in a building under construction in Nuwaidrat.
Video footage of the incident was circulated on social network websites and labelled "banner of glory" by a group called Nuwaidrat Youths.